Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Wisdom of Mistakes

I conducted the x-gal assay today and I think it was a very valuable learning experience, to learn about science and myself. Helen was out of town at a graduate school interview so I began the experiment by myself. First I read through the protocol and noted that it said specifically “put the filter paper on the gel slowly to avoid bubbles,” and I started adding the filter paper being careful not to move the paper after I added them to the gel. I was pretty happy with the results. then I realize I had made a huge mistake. I had set the filter paper very slowly and carefully on top of the gel but I had been so gentle that the paper was not becoming saturated with the colonies and needed to be pressed down. I knew I had to be careful not to move the paper or contaminate the colonies so I started from the edge and tried to anchor the paper to the gel hoping that it would saturate and that is when the filter started to bubble. I was like please NOOOOOOOOOO! Immediately, I realized what I had done, if I had put the filter paper on slowly letting it saturate as I laid it on the gel I could have avoided this fiasco (you live and learn next time I will know better).
Of course the minute I realized my mistake my mentor came to see how I was doing and I was mortified, of course. I wanted to hide my mistake. I was afraid she would question my ability to do research; she would have to lower her expectations of me. What a fundamental thing to get wrong she would surly think I was stupid, that is how I felt. She looked at what happened and she helped me to fix the filter papers and we finished the protocol together. I learned how she put the filter paper on and I thanked her for her help. She said she had fun. I was relieved that she didn’t think I was a complete failure. She seemed to understand that I was just learning.
That was not the only lesson I learned but when I reflected on the experience I realized that the first time I performed the assay with Helen I should have been more proactive and hands When the protocol became more complex and called for accuracy and precision I took the back seat and watched. I was so afraid that I would make a mistake. I think I need to be more confident in my ability to do research and more accepting that mistakes are made and they are a part of learning. I think that being able to trouble shoot and learn how to pick myself up when I fall is a valuable lesson to learn when I start my own research and must use my problem solving skills and never give up. I have found that Helen is equally as understanding as Dr. Damer and grateful for my help working on the yeast-two hybrid assay. I have learned a lot from both of them like the simple things learned through practice and the wisdom they have gained over the years from making their own mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment