Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Shine

You know that nervous feeling you get when you walk into a room, you don’t know anyone and you hope that someone will sit down next to you. You are worried about what everyone thinks of you at the same time that they are worried about what you think of them. That’s how I felt when I walked into orientation. But to my relief it worked out better than I could have imagined. Bianca is the Multicultural Advisor for my dorm and though I hadn’t spoken with her we recognized each other and she sat down next to me. As soon as we started talking we found that we had a lot in common and I think we will become fast friends. As we shared stories and details about our lives I learned that she lived directly above my dorm and I think we are both very happy to have a fellow McNair scholar that lives close by. She seems to be such a happy and positive person and someone I hope to get to know better. I know that I will be spending a lot of time with these ten students and I hope we all become great friends. I feel that the McNair program is much more than an opportunity to learn about graduate school but a chance to meet new people. One of the reasons that Marching Band, the Honors Program, and UROP have made a lasting impression in my life is because I have met great directors, teachers, mentors and lifelong friends. I heard this quote from a movie and I feel that it is why finding organizations like McNair and friendships are so important.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others (Timo Cruz- Coach Carter).

Our goal is not to compete with each other but to find encouragement and understanding within each other. Friends we can depend on when times are hard and are there to celebrate when we succeed. The road of success does not have to be dark and no longer does it have to be traveled alone but it can be traveled with friends who shine together.

No comments:

Post a Comment