Sunday, February 7, 2010

Inspired to Climb

At the end of the orientation there was a common theme that the social mentors shared and that was that each had a mentor in their lives that had helped to guide them to where they are today; a wonderful person who selflessly gave their time and wisdom to see their students succeed, someone who has inspired them to become part of McNair so they could help others. They wanted to give back because they realized they had been given so much. I feel that way too. I am so lucky to have a family who has worked so hard to make sure that their children go to college. I have been in programs, met directors, mentors, friends and the most wonderful teachers who have given me confidence to believe in myself and reach for the stars. Without these people in my life I would not be the same person. I may be climbing a mountain but I am not climbing alone, every step of the way I have had a hand outstretched to help me up and when I slipped they have never let me fall. And I am thankful because I could have never climbed the mountain alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment