Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Continuing My Story

Here is my application to the McNair program it tells you where I have been and where I am planing to go...

Stretching My Wings, Reaching for the Stars
In May 2009, I graduated with my Associate’s Degree in Pre-Professional Biology from Henry Ford Community College (HFCC). My future goals include earning a Bachelor Degree in Biomedical Science with a minor in Chemistry at Central Michigan University (CMU). I am interested in studying genetics and medical research and plan to apply to a Graduate Program in Biological Research. I can envision myself pursuing a career where I participate in research that has an effect on the health and welfare of mankind and the medical world, such as cures for diseases or genetic investigation.
The experiences in my life that opened my eyes to the possibility of research and earning a PhD began when I became a member of HFCC Honors Program. I was enrolled in an Honors Directed Study under the direction of Dr. Stepaniak (Microbiology and Immunology PhD). Where I investigated whether my twin sister and I are monozygotic (identical) or dizygotic (fraternal) twins. I performed DNA extractions from the participants and used polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to duplicate the DNA and to compare region PMCT 118 on chromosome 1, THO1 STR alleles on chromosome 11, and the PV62 region on chromosome16 in our DNA. While the results led to more questions than answers, the experience opened my eyes to the value of scientific research.
With the encouragement of Dr. Stepaniak, I applied for and was accepted into the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program- Jack Kent Cooke Fellowship at the University of Michigan and worked at the Comprehensive Cancer Center. I worked with Dr. Hoban D.Sc. and studied how the Insulin-like Growth Factor Pathway is affected by various antibodies in Ewing’s Sarcoma Family Tumors. In our study we used tumor in vitro and cell lines derived from patients in a migration assay to illustrate how various antibodies can inhibit migration of chemokines in cancer cells. In addition, we conducted protein assays, electrophoresis (SDS page), and collected data from western blot analysis, giving us further confirmation that IGF-1R stimulates cancer cell growth and can be a key factor in apoptosis and decreased metastasis. This life changing experience helped me decide to dedicate my life to medical research.
When I arrived at CMU this fall, I pursued another opportunity to be involved in a research program and am now working in Dr. Damer’s lab using the model organism, Dictyostelium discoideum, to study a family of proteins called copines. I have been exposed to techniques like electrophoresis, bacterial transformation, DNA plasmid isolation, and the yeast two-hybrid assay. It is our goal to identify the protein binding partners of copine A in Dictyostelium cells. Identification of the binding partners of the copine A protein can help us to determine the possible functions of copine A proteins and the signaling pathway in which they may be involved. Ultimately, by increasing the understanding of the function of copines in eukaryotic organisms, we can contribute to the growing knowledge of the researching world.
I realize that the McNair Scholars Program was created to provide opportunities for undergraduate students who hope to pursue doctoral degrees. This program would provide me with conference materials, structure and the individual attention I would need to help me prepare for entry into a doctoral program. I am aware that a doctoral program would demand a tremendous amount of commitment and perseverance. Furthermore, I recognize that part of any academic program is the willingness to become a member of a team of individuals devoted to learning. As a member of this program, I would look forward to meeting and working with devoted teachers, motivated students and possible lifelong friends.
The HFCC Honors Program and the U of M Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program provided me with learned and dedicated professors and mentors that offered me exceptional guidance and encouragement and helped me develop my academic skills. Dr. Ronald Ervin McNair was an exceptional student, research scientist, pioneering astronaut, and a national hero of our time. McNair said “Whether or not you reach your goals in life depends entirely on how well you prepare for them and how badly you want them. You're eagles! Stretch your wings and fly to the sky.” Should I have the privilege of joining the McNair Scholars Program, I feel confident that I would be able to stretch my wings, soar into the sky and reach for the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment